Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
for 14 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk, warm to the touch
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 packet 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 5 cups flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Generously butter two disposable foil pie/cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together warm milk, melted butter, and granulated sugar. The mixture should be just warm, registering between 100-110˚F (37-43˚C). If it is hotter, allow cooling slightly.
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the warm mixture and let sit for 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups (500g) of all-purpose flour to the milk mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, the dough should have nearly doubled in size.
- Remove the towel and add an additional ¾ cup (95g) of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Stir well, then turn out onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough just loses its stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about ½-inch (1 cm) thick. Fix corners to make sure they are sharp and even.
- Spread the softened butter evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Press the mixture into the butter.
- Roll up the dough, forming a log, and pinch the seam closed. Place seam-side down. Trim off any unevenness on either end.
- Cut the log in half, then divide each half into 7 evenly sized pieces. About 1½ inches (8cm) thick each.
- Place 7 cinnamon rolls in each cake pan, one in the center, six around the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven the JUNE to 350˚F
- To prepare the frosting. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, butter, whole milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar, until smooth.
- Remove plastic wrap. Bake the cinnamon rolls in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- While still warm, drizzle evenly with frosting.
Thanks for sharing, Chris!
Please sign in to leave a comment.